Greenville Board of Education Meetings

The Greenville City School's Board of Education meets the third Tuesday each month in the Anna Bier Room at Henry St. Clair Memorial Hall. At this time, members of the board are: Cindy Scott, Ben Studebaker, Sue Bowman, Jim Sommer, Joe Payne


Polling places for the Greenville City School District can be found on the Where the School Dist. is and Polling Places page just below this message.
Check out the other pages of this blog for lots of other information right below here.
If you feel this blog is worth reading, please tell a friend where to find it.


Click on any picture on this site to enlarge.

Friday, September 17, 2010

The Carnegie Library and Henry St. Clair Memorial Hall

Recently someone asked the question " who actually owns Memorial Hall"?  A little searching yielded a lot of information.  The best information was found on Wikipedia.  I've edited it here and added a couple of bits of information.  Hope this answers the question.


Here is the straight scoop on Memorial Hall and the Library
 Soon after F. Gillum Cromer became the superintendent of the Greenville City Schools in 1888, he began to plan for the creation of a library for the city's students. Financing for the library was largely dependent on the children of the city, who performed entertainments on Washington's Birthday; the monies earned were used to pay for the books and for the upkeep of the library system. As the library increased in size, it was decided to expand it and to open it to members of the public. From 1892 to 1901, the library was housed in the basement of a store on Fifth Street.[2]:373, 374
Construction In the spring of 1901, the city's board of education petitioned Andrew Carnegie to donate money for the expansion of the library. In response, Carnegie offered $15,000 on the condition that the city pledge $1,500 annually for its support. After examining the library system in Pittsburgh and consulting its head librarian, the board requested $25,000 and pledged $2,500 annually; Carnegie accepted this offer   After the board accepted bids on plans, the members discovered that the desired structure would cost nearly $30,000 and ordered a revision of the plans; however, when this news reached prominent local businessman Henry St. Clair, he requested that the revision be cancelled and pledged sufficient funds for the building as originally planned.[2]:375 St. Clair's wish having been granted, the library's cornerstone was laid on October 30, 1901, and construction was completed on March 19, 1903;[the structure had cost $31,177.50.
Memorial Hall Following Henry's St. Clair's death on October 7, 1908, the city benefited greatly from his will — $100,000 was to be given to the city's board of education for the erection and maintenance of an assembly hall for the use of the city schools. Board members soon voted to build this hall adjacent to the Carnegie library; as the 1868 high school already occupied this location, the entire building was moved a short distance to the south in the summer of 1909. Excavation for the new assembly hall commenced in the spring of 1910, and the cornerstone was laid on June 30. Large crowds attended the laying ceremony; and members of the leading families of Darke County provided patriotic music.After a long period of construction, the building was dedicated on May 3, 1912 and given the name of "Henry St. Clair Memorial Hall." While the construction of the hall and the removal of the high school had cost $135,000, the board of education was not left impoverished; St. Clair's widow compensated the board for the extra expenses. The finished structure, built of brick and stone in a manner similar to the library, featured a large auditorium and a range of classrooms for the city's students
Thanks to Wikipedia for the information.

No comments:

Post a Comment