There are those who continually question the validity of building new schools. By looking at dates accompanying these pictures, it would seem that no money has been spent frivolously. The pictures here only look at the high schools of the Greenville City School District and buildings annexed into the system. It would appear that the taxpayer's have gotten their moneys worth on all.
This is the Old West Building as listed on www.oldohioschools.com. It supposedly sat on the property now containing the Junior High School. It is listed as being built in 1867.
This is the original East School Building as shown on www.oldohioschools.com. The website also lists it as the second Greenville High School. It was replaced by the current East Building. No demolition date, but I believe the existing East Elementary was built in the late 1940's or early 1950's.
The third Greenville High School we now know as the Jr. High School was built in 1923.
It was the High School for 40 years until 1963. It has been the Jr. High for another 47 years. That is 87 years of continuous service to the citizens of the Greenville City School District. The existing High School was opened in time for the 1962-63 school year with the Class of 1963 being the first to graduate from the building. It has been in service now for 48 years. It was built before Pres. Kennedy was assassinated, before Neil Armstrong walked on the moon and before the personal computer sat on your desk.
The original Gettysburg School was built in 1902 and later replaced by the current Gettysburg Building.
The current Gettysburg Building as part of the Greenville School system was used as an elementary building and after sitting dormant reopened for the remainder of a year to house Jr. High Students. It was closed permanently in 2007.
This is McClure School which must have been the first Washington Twp School. It appears to be a two room school and was incorporated into the new Washington Twp Building when it was built.
This was the final Washington Twp. building and after being absorbed by GCSD housed students into the 1970's or 80's.
Other school buildings of all of Darke County can be seen at www.oldohioschools.com